Saturday, October 03, 2009

Towers of Cape Cod - The Jenny Lind Tower in Truro

Jenny Lind TowerOne of the strangest structures on the Outer Cape is an empty 70 ft tower in Truro, known as the Jenny Lind Tower. Jenny Lind was an Swedish opera star from the mid-1800's who was brought to America by P.T. Barnum. Apparently she did a free concert from this tower (which was originally part of the Fitchburg train station in Boston) when the original venue was oversold. The tower sits on National Seashore property just south of the Highland Lighthouse. Read more about the Jenny Lind Tower on the Cape Codder website...Here.

Also, the Cape Cod Times did a video about the Jenny Lind Tower. Check it out...

2 comments:

Christopher Setterlund said...

Hi Mr. Sheldon. I was wondering is this tower on private land? I had wanted to check it out last time I was in Truro but it looked like it was gated off and on the old Air Force grounds.

rjsheldon said...

I found a post that indicated that you can hike to the tower from the Highland Light parking lot. Go to http://www.mychatham.com/highlandlight.html. Good luck. If you go, write me and tell me about it. I'll even include a link to it from this blog.